Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Internet is - Wow!

So... wow... what a journey! What have I learnt in Net 11?

1. Communication & technology go hand in hand in the internet evolution.
2. Without technology there is no internet; without users there is no internet evolution.
3. To not understand some of the technology of the internet is to under use the medium.
4. To not understand communication processes, netiquette and the asynchronous nature of the space is to under use the medium.
5. Without due consideration to individual context, organisation and discernment the user under values the potential of their use of the internet.
6. Without due consideration of others and communities online the user is not developing the skills required to become an advanced user of the space.
7. Without practice and refinement of techniques and a holistic approach to understanding of the internet space, the user short changes himself and others because the information ecology of the internet is amazing!!

Why don't we talk of a 'communication ecology'? I don't know. We should, because that's a perfect definition, in my opinion, of the whole experience. Without communication the internet is not an information ecology. In my Concepts Assignment (below) topic re Virtual Library, I reference Tim Berners-Lee and the future of information on the internet re linked data which relies on communication. Future developments, applications, uses, direction - everything depends on the engagement and ongoing communication processes of us - internet users. The better we become at understanding the medium, the more involved we become with the processes and with sharing information online, the greater opportunities we have, individually and collectively, to maximise our experiences, enhance our lives and integrate the medium fully in the true spirit of the global village.

I'm sold!

1 comment:

  1. I love the course summary Christine (or should I say Betty), I think you captured it well :)

    ReplyDelete