I am not technologically challenged!
I am terminology challenged. There's a big difference and undertaking the arduous journey that ultimately led me to the correct FTP and Telnet Task outcomes illustrates that difference.
I have learnt that you cannot download the FTP Server and expect it to do the job. No, you need the FTP Client. You knew that didn't you?
Sadly, I did not. Many, many hours blaming the computer and the operator, soliciting advice from the BB Discussion Boards, wandering around Google and, ultimately, using the 'phone a friend' lifeline, I got there - and it was a breeze!
Yep, I get it. FTP is a great tool. I also understand now why we used it for media instead of an Electronic Press Kit in my previous incarnation as a Publicist/PR. Up went the hi-res images and across to the journalist went the log in details. Hey Presto!
I also understand now why my system didn't have the features then to enable me access (blame the computer) and why I couldn't find them to install (blame the operator).
Sadly, true story and, yes, CAPITALIZATION [sic] matters but, in this instance, it was not the root cause of my dilemma.
TELNET was no easier - you can probably see where I'm going here. I don't want to re-live it so I'll keep it brief.
Again, search, email and skype pleas to friends and many many hours later, the BB Discussion Boards (thanks Hannah!) got me closer to my goal. With one final hurdle (thanks Kate!) I was done. Yes, I even managed the email part. I watched the fabulous blinkenlights and sat back in my chair.
There's no time for reflection on these useful tools just yet. I'm still doing the victory dance around the desk. I've pulled the blinds - I wouldn't want anyone to think I was up myself.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I made the same little blunder! I didn't spend hours however, I have a computer geek boyfriend who deals with FileZilla who talked about it with me beforehand.
ReplyDeleteIf I'd checked the DB, I think I would have understood in a heartbeat!
I thought I was going crazy too!!!! Thank the good lord I finally got it. I was happy to see R2D2 dancing around on my screen..
ReplyDeleteExcellent work
Cheers
Michelle