Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Top 5 Tips for Bloggers

1. Don't give too many personal details. Identity theft is already too easy. Don't make it easier.

2.Read other blogs. Looking at other blogs puts you in the reader's seat and lets you see firsthand the fonts and colours that do and don't work on screen, the musings that are and are not so interesting. Check spelling so that your blog is a pleasure to read not a struggle for the reader.

3.Be Yourself.
A blog is your weblog. Everyone has their own personal style. Format, style and content should reflect you and your interests.

4.Update regularly and check in on it. Keep the blog as current and informative as your life allows. Updating regularly makes your blog a 'go to' place for friends, family, colleagues and anyone else who finds your blog interesting. Check in on it frequently and read comments. It's not a static thing.

5. Add links. If you're referencing something, have seen something you think others would be interested in - post the link. We love links!

3 comments:

  1. Five great tips Christine (or should I say, Betty). I'd add to your point 2, comment. Commenting plants us into our community. It makes us a contributor rather than a lurker. And it's a way for us to add value to other's content. Looking forward to getting to know you. All the best. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips Betty! I took your advice in tip 5 about adding links, and tip 2 reading other blogs.

    Good luck with NET11! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter - and yes here you should say Betty but, of course, if we ever have the opportunity to meet in person, you should say Christine ;) - Online I'm a notorious lurker, in the real world I'm not so you've given me food for thought with the sentence 'Commenting plants us into our community'. I'm always talking about the value of 'engagement' with others in the real world so I best practice what I preach online too!

    ReplyDelete