Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Understanding the technology of online communication

My hand is up! I have discovered that I am one of those people who use the internet as a regular communication tool without any thought to how my communiques are being processed and delivered.

Tackling some of these tasks has been frustrating and highlighted the limitations of the logical side of my brain! I'm asking myself constantly why someone with good comprehension skills (that's me) has such great difficulty comprehending the 'language' of some of the tasks. I'm not really progressing with my grasp in the first instance but do understand the outcome when I eventually get there. I still believe it's a terminology issue for me and I find myself googling definitions and explanations constantly.

Now I have managed the traceroute task and it was an easy exercise once some handy tips had been posted on the DB - again thanks to all my fellow students :) - and I used Centralops.net for the exercise.

The outcome is that I have discovered that it took 19 hops from one IP to the Curtin IP ergo I understand now that there is a far greater process going on behind the scenes when one specific IP attempts to connect to another IP!

Is it a useful application for me? No. Will I traceroute again? No. Did I learn something. Absolutely yes! :)

Now I just need to learn, or should I say, comprehend, the instructions that will enable me to take a screenshot!

Tracing route to curtin.edu.au [134.7.179.56]...

hop

rtt

rtt

rtt

ip address

domain name

1

1

0

2

70.84.211.97

61.d3.5446.static.theplanet.com

2

0

0

0

70.87.254.1

1.fe.5746.static.theplanet.com

3

0

0

0

70.85.127.105

po51.dsr01.dllstx3.theplanet.com

4

0

0

0

70.87.253.1

et3-1.ibr03.dllstx3.theplanet.com

5

0

0

0

157.238.225.5

xe-2-4.r01.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

6

0

0

0

129.250.3.73

ae-3.r20.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

7

41

47

42

129.250.2.168

as-2.r20.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

8

47

100

43

129.250.5.254

po-1.r00.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net

9

37

138

37

204.1.253.166

10

186

184

186

202.158.194.157

so-4-0-0.bb1.b.syd.aarnet.net.au

11

196

197

198

202.158.194.33

so-2-0-0.bb1.a.mel.aarnet.net.au

12

205

207

205

202.158.194.17

so-2-0-0.bb1.a.adl.aarnet.net.au

13

233

233

233

202.158.194.5

so-0-1-0.bb1.a.per.aarnet.net.au

14

234

234

234

202.158.198.178

gigabitethernet0.er1.curtin.cpe.aarnet.net.au

15

233

233

235

202.158.198.186

gw1.er1.curtin.cpe.aarnet.net.au

16

*

*

*

17

*

*

*

18

*

*

*

19

236

235

235

134.7.179.56

systems.curtin.edu.au

Trace complete

-- end --




No comments:

Post a Comment