Sunday, April 19, 2009

Eddie Vedder Drinks Bile Beer!

Did you know that? Neither did I! But 15th result on Copernic ....reveals that interesting piece of information: WARNING NS for those with a weak stomach ;)

The words of my choosing were 'Eddie Vedder', he of Pearl Jam fame. I used Google which is my preferred internet search engine and there were 2,150,000 results. Popular guy! Copernic, on the same search, returned 18 results, most of which appeared to be gathered from yahoo. Hmmm.

The first result in Google was for wikipedia , the first in Copernic was imdb (which was 6th on Google). I'd take a wiki entry in this instance over imdb if purely for the fact that fans have obviously compiled it and everyone knows fans do their homework! - loads of links, cross-references, discographies and sources noted .... if you wanted to do an in depth study of the man, starting here, this wiki has it all.

The most promising results? 2,150,000 vs 18.... I'll keep googling.:)

I didn't realise that what I do when I search is 'Boolean'. I remember when everyone said you had to use a '+' to link two or more search terms together in a search which was fine until one day I forgot the '+' and got the same results and concluded for myself that the '+' was redundant.

I didn't think 'Eddie Vedder' was narrow enough for this task so I pretended I was searching for a particular song he had done and, in the first instance named it, and the second searched as if I could not recall the name. I used Google.

Eddie Vedder Hide Your Love Away - 22,400 results
Eddie Vedder song beatles - 174,000 results
Eddie Vedder beatles cover - 303,000 results

The top search result for all was a youtube link to an audio of the track with a clip from the Beatles' film 'Help'. It had 22,544 views. It was disconcerting watching the Beatles but hearing Vedder so I instead clicked on another alternative at youtube, courtesy of ann19oct of Vedder singing with an accompanying montage of stills of him singing. This one had 277,007 views - clearly people like to look at him while listening to him as the recording was identical in both clips ;)

I also selected a result from Rolling Stone magazine 'Weekend Rock List: Best Beatles Covers' from March 2008. It's a trusted source and I've been collecting Rolling Stone for a hundred years or more so I was happy with this pick.

Then I found consequenceofsound.net and a review by Michael Roffman of an August 2008 performance by Vedder at the Roosevelt Uni Auditorium in Chicago at which he performed Hide Your Love Away. The review, pictures, set list and detail were a great read and their 'About Us' says they cover the music scene in Chicago and New York. It's a music e-zine specific to those two cities and well written.

So I bookmarked the youtube video and consequenceofsound and recorded all my results and the Rolling Stone info in a simple word doc for future reference for this Unit.

Copernic is, sadly, going to have to be uninstalled. Although I can see the benefit of having another search engine at my fingertips, every time I now access Mozilla I'm being prompted to select Copernic as my default and that's irritating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment