Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Web 2.0 Rules! Bring on Web 3.0!

I'm a visual person so purely from that perspective my preferred format is the Internet Communications Furl List. The web is a visual medium so that appeals immediately rather than the bland presentation of highlighted blue links.

With Web 2.0 applications in place I also get the added advantage of seeing each link rated, how many discussion entries pertain to each link, members and number of views.

This information is provided by my peers, others who have accessed the information and whose evaluation of that information I can reference immediately. I may disagree with their assessments or their comments. I may agree with some or all. Instantly I am part of an activity that is 'shared' and the solo search I may be engaged in is no longer just a solo search. Instead of just being in task-driven mode I am now taken into an asynchronous interaction with strangers who share a common interest with me.

It's like following a well-trodden track in the sand - someone has gone before me and left their mark. Someone will, no doubt, come after me and walk in my footprints. The process is one of unending engagement.

Web 2.0 has taken the old perception that being online is an insular or anti-social pastime and turned it into a vastly social activity. In cyberspace you are not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment